From: devansprr <devans1@erols.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: New Accurail Offset twin hopper
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 10:14 PM

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@ ...> wrote:

Looks like an AAR standard twin... again... for the fourth time in HO...
whahoo yippee ky-ay.

Tim,

I am aware of 3 offset twins - Atlas, Kadee, Athearn, and ?

What are the significant differences between the pre-war offset twins?

Looking through the RPI site, they characterize the accurail design as a "long-taper" car, and the Alton 61099 photo is one possible match. The B&O N-35 is another possible match, as might be the L&NE, L&N, Southern and other offsets. The Reading HTt class looks to be a good match.

The Atlas offset seems to be of the same "long-taper" type, so perhaps the Accurail will be just like the Atlas?

Seems like the "short taper" offset twin still eludes us?

Looking through the RPI site, it looks like the vast majority of offset twins were 33-34 feet, but some early cars were 30'. The accurail site does not state the length.

Outside of the taper, and the number of ribs, it seems like the various prototype cars had few spotting differences outside of safety appliances? (and the obvious peak vs flat ends) Can someone educate me?

Dave Evans