Re: New Accurail Offset twin hopper

water.kresse@...

Not being a modeler . . .

I believe there were basically three types of "patented/licensed" ARA/AAR transitional end side-panels being used:

1) 1928 Enterprise and Wine designs

2) 1931 Kiesel design

Which model-style is defined as a long taper vs. short taper?

Long-taper = top panel break goes all the way to the corner post (1931 AAR Kiesel)?

Short-taper = top panel break goes to edge of the "ladder-flat" (1928 ARA licensed by Wine)?

The Enterprise design has more panel breaks.

Al Kresse

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:14:59 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [STMFC] Re: New Accurail Offset twin hopper

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Looks like an AAR standard twin... again... for the fourth time in HO...
whahoo yippee ky-ay.

Tim,

I am aware of 3 offset twins - Atlas, Kadee, Athearn, and ?

What are the significant differences between the pre-war offset twins?

Looking through the RPI site, they characterize the accurail design as a "long-taper" car, and the Alton 61099 photo is one possible match. The B&O N-35 is another possible match, as might be the L&NE, L&N, Southern and other offsets. The Reading HTt class looks to be a good match.

The Atlas offset seems to be of the same "long-taper" type, so perhaps the Accurail will be just like the Atlas?

Seems like the "short taper" offset twin still eludes us?

Looking through the RPI site, it looks like the vast majority of offset twins were 33-34 feet, but some early cars were 30'. The accurail site does not state the length.

Outside of the taper, and the number of ribs, it seems like the various prototype cars had few spotting differences outside of safety appliances? (and the obvious peak vs flat ends) Can someone educate me?

Dave Evans

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.