From: "cj riley" <cjriley42@yahoo.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:00:08 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Heap Shields  was  Re: [STMFC] Re: Accurail Offset Twin

The biggest problem is the "heap shields" used during the era twin hoppers were built were an integral part pf the end… that is, the end sheet and whatever bracing was used on the end just extended unbroken above the level of the top of the sides. Some later applications to larger hoppers built in the sixties had heap shields that appeared to be add-ons that were attached to the top chord of the end framing. These would be a natural for a separate detail part (and somebody did offer them at one time) but don't do any good for the steam era twins.>
I still have several sets of brass castings of an entire end with heap shield that date back to perhaps the '70s or '80s designed for the Athearn hopper. I also have some plastic heap shield castings from (I believe) Roundhouse. Never used any of them and would love a good model that included them.
CJ RileyBainbridge Island WA

Istill have several sets of brss