Re: tools (was Re: Molded-on Grab Irons)

Tim O'Connor

One of my favorite tools is this "seam scraper" from MicroMark.
Actually, I use it as a REAMER. It is very sharp and pointed, and
it can ream out very small holes and cuts through Delrin etc
beautifully. It's probably good for seam scraping too. :-)

http://www.micromark.com/SEAM-SCRAPER,7547.html

Tim O'Connor

At 11/21/2009 03:25 PM Saturday, you wrote:
The flush end-nippers that Klein once made, and that PPE still
supplies are the handiest off all tools for removing the bulk of cast-
on molded detailing. By removing most of the "overburden" with these
flush-cutters, this then allows the use of a sharp chisel blade to
finish the work with minimal chance of collateral damage. My " sharp
chisel blade" is one of several X-acto blades that have been ground to
shape, i.e. to a narrower profile, and have the corners rounded off.

IMHO, the most important issue with the good use of these blades is to
keep them SHARP! My small Arkansas whet stone is out on the bench
along with a piece of scrap leather as a strop, and I will commonly
whet and strop the blade several times during a sitting or session. I
do the same with razor blades, and in this regard, both X-acto and
good razor blades will last an entire season; and they are sharper and
smoother in doing so than when they were first removed from their
packaging. When the blades become nicked or the profiles are no longer
level -and will no longer hold an edge-, only then do they get the
heave-ho.

I have the Micro Mark chisel, and although I do like it, its use has
not yet persuaded me to give up my handy-dandy razor and X-acto blades.

Denny