Re: Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 21, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that CRP was set up around '52
in an effort to put some assets
of the CNJ out of the reach (well, that was the idea) of NJ tax
authorities. A lot of rolling stock
was re-initialed with CRP with few if any other changes. I think
that later this was determined to
be not legal.
Well, Schuyler, in fact you ARE wrong, at least partly. CRP was
established in 1944 as a separate operating branch of the Central RR
of New Jersey, and remained so until ca. 1954, when the courts ruled
that it was an illicit tax dodge. After 1954, the cars with CRP
reporting marks were gradually re-integrated into the CNJ roster,
though there cars running around lettered CRP through the 1950s and
into the 1960s.

Richard Hendrickson