Re: InterMountain 70 ton flat car kits

William Keene <wakeene@...>

I have not seen the 70-ton flat cars yet. What is the method of
installing the couplers on these cars. The experience I had with the
IM reefers with the press fit coupler box cover resulted in removal
of the entire box and installation of new boxes to install the
Sergent couplers. Hopefully the flat car uses some other method than
the press fit coupler box cover.

Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Nov 22, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Nov 22, 2009, at 8:19 AM, peteraue wrote:

InterMountain just confirmed that the HO scale 70 ton flat cars
will be available as undecorated kits. The stock number will be
43799, the list price US $ 19.95. This will be a much better
solution than trying to get the laser-cut wood deck off without
braking anything.
While I tend to prefer kits to RTR models, for all of the reasons
that are often advanced on this list, IM's painting and lettering on
the flat car models is very good and the decks come off to be thinned
down very easily, with just a bit of gentle work with a single edge
razor blade. The excessive thickness of the wood decks shouldn't
discourage anyone from buying a RTR model and fixing the deck, as
there is really no danger of breaking anything.

Richard Hendrickson