Re: Wabash large flag lettering scheme

cef39us <cfrench@...>

David

Digging through the ORER's, sometime between 1955 and 1959 Wabash
converted 33 of the 50 Wabash 12600-12649 series to Ford auto frame

As it happens, the TANGENT model I bought, 12625, was not converted
by 1959. Phew!

All of the ORER's show these Wabash gondolas listed as COAL cars! Weird.

I have photos of two repainted Wabash 52' gondolas (11615/11623) with huge
WABASH roadname and a small flag to the right of the name. However it does
appear that 11623's flag is slightly larger (maybe 10-15%) than 11615's.

Curiouser and curiouser...

The January 1, 1957 Wabash equipment book shows all 50 cars equipped
with racks in 1956. Those equipped with Ford frame racks had an "8" stenciled above the reporting marks and the cars with Merecury frame racks were stenciled "54". BEWARE, THE REST OF THE MESSAGE GOES BEYOND 1960. I have a color photo of the 12614 repainted in the freight car red with the 33" WABASH and a small flag. The reweigh date appears to be XD 10-64. The 11000 series gons Tim refers to were purchased from the CNJ in 1962 and did have larger flags.

Chet French
Dixon, IL