Re: NYC freight car lettering

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 23, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

Al: I wasn't sure of the date the reporting marks changed so I
didn't want
to assume anything. Hopefully someone on here knows for sure.
Brian, the earliest photos I have of NYC cars with the extended
Gothic stenciling show two box cars with reweigh/repaint dates of BG
(Beech Grove) 6-55. They were taken by Will Whittaker on the West
Coast and George Sisk in Kansas City, and it's a good guess that what
prompted both photos of otherwise very ordinary NYC cars was that it
was the first time the photographers had seen the new lettering style.

Richard Hendrickson