Re: Canadian tank cars south of 49; also, Coutts, Montana

bnsd45

Tim is correct that Coutts is in Alberta. It is on the Canadian Pacific side of the border with GN's route off of the "transcontinental" mainline from Shelby MT. It was - and still is - an active interchange between GN-CP (now BNSF-CP).

I'd bet that the tankcars were passing through Coutts enroute to US rails, coming from the Northern oilfields closer to Edmonton.

David Lehlbach

Coutts is in Alberta; Sweetgrass MT is the other side of the border.
The route is Great Falls-->Shelby-->Calgary (GN+?) via Coutts/Sweetgrass.

Speaking of Coutts, MT, what road was that on, was it the GN? I'm not
clear on whether the photo I found of a whole string of Imperial Oil tank
cars there was delivering product or picking up crude, though I'd suspect
the latter.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC