Re: NYC freight car lettering

Bill Darnaby

Tom sez...

Thanks guys for the replies. I have emailed Terry to see if he knows and if he does come up with the data I will post it so that all can share. Martin has just put out that NYC 1-1/2 door tall box car, but is very vague about when the NYC went to the Gothic Lettering for reporting marks and dimensional data. Until I find out when, I will be sticking with the kits with the Roman Lettering.
The guy who made the masters for these cars told me that the version of this car available at Naperville is good only for the Gothic lettering as these cars were rebuilt starting in 1955. Therefore, the car I purchased (kit 93.4) will be in very new paint as I model late summer/early fall of 1955. The earlier rebuilds of these cars that would have had the Roman lettering have not been released yet.

Bill Darnaby