Re: Coke questions

Jason Greene

I used to work at one of the by-products plants here in Birmingham. The size is not the same as ballast. The lumps are generally between a softball and football in size. As for the color, it depends on coal it is coked from. Alabama coal leaves you with a darker coke than PA or KY coal. Generally though I would say to start with grimy black and lighten it just a bit. I do not have a color photo unfortunately.

I can tell you that black coke hoppers or gons should weather with a grayish black dust, ask anyone who has seen one of my trucks...My wife hated that place when I would come home with a nasty truck.

As for Bee-hive ovens, if you are modeling steel mills, iron furnaces, or coke ovens you will not be dealing with these unless you were modeling pre-1920 or so. This is the time period when the bee-hives were completely replaced by bee-hives. The "modern" ovens came about during that time.

If more information were available about the Mary Lee, Alabama Consolidated Co. and Sloss-Sheffield railroad equipment pre-diesel era, I would be tempted to model the Mary Lee instead of the Southern Rwy. Very interesting railroad.

Jason Greene
Birmingham, AL

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem