Re: Coke questions

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis S. wrote:
As for size, no one specified what the coke was to be used for. If for retail sale (coke was sold for home heating and stove coal in areas where Anthracite shipping would be costly) it would be graded like coal was. If for steel making, I assume it was random sizes as it came from the ovens.
Good point. My observation when I lived in Pittsburgh was that the coke coming out of US Steel's Clairton coke works (one of the largest in the country) looked a lot like typical coal chunks as to size, but was immediately recognizable as coke due to the gray color and "silvery" appearance in certain lighting. I'd assume this was steelmaking coke.

Publishers of books on railroad history