Re: Christmas Trees by Rail

Robert kirkham

Likewise, the newspaper article I referenced earlier was of a boxcar load of trees.

Rob Kirkham

From: "Anthony Thompson" <thompson@signaturepress.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:42 AM
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Christmas Trees by Rail

Richard Wilkens wrote:
So to "Legally" include Christmas on this list I'll ask the
following, did the railroads that served the Christmas tree growing
areas of North America see all that many shipments of trees by rail?
How were they handled? Box cars? Refrigerator cars? Gondolas?
I've never seen anything in photos except box cars. SP
publicity photos often showed box cars being either loaded or
unloaded, and were included in their Christmas article for the
employee magazine, _SP Bulletin_ most years, so I'd assume they would
use a typical scene.
One exception: as included in my volume on SP flat cars, the
National Christmas Tree, set up every year outside the White House,
was usually shipped on a long flat car. In 1960, SP used a TOFC car
for this.

Publishers of books on railroad history