Re: Resin Review

Ian Cranstone

From: "Bill Darnaby" <WDarnaby@...>
I have recently finished assembling two different kits of the CNR 1924-29
40' single sheathed boxcar with dreadnought ends. One kit was by F&C (kit
6671) and one was by Kaslo Shops (kit HK-10).
I'm not sure where the dates cited came from, but the models in question are
of the 1929 CN standard boxcar, built from 1929-31 by the three major
Canadian carbuilders as CN 503500-513152 (more details on series breakdowns
can be found at my website at: freightcars.nakina.net). The earlier CN 1923
standard boxcar, built from 1923-27 were probably the wood end cars that you
saw in the F&C instruction sheet. These cars were the prototype for the
Accurail 40' single-sheathed boxcar in plastic a few years back (and as a CN
modeller I have a few stashed on my unbuilt kit shelf).

I believe the F&C version is the former Steam Shack kit, whereas the Kaslo
kit is relatively new. There is also a one-piece resin version offered by
Sylvan. I have yet to build my Kaslo kit, but I have always been impressed
with the quality of Kaslo's castings, which seem very crisply detailed.

Stafford Swain had an article on these cars (and the Steam Shack kit) in the
June 1994 RMJ.

--
Ian Cranstone
Kanata, Ontario, Canada