From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] box car colors
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 7:11 PM

Two philosophical questions then:

1. If two cars were built the same day at the same place and painted from the same drum
of paint, coupled together and run together hauling the same cargos for ten years, would
you expect the colors of the two be virtually the same or markedly different after ten
years?
Kurt, please identify a single example.

2. If two cars were built the same day by two different shops for two different railroads
and painted in markedly different colors, coupled together a week later and run together
hauling the same cargos for ten years, would you expect the colors of the two be virtually
the same or markedly different after ten years?
Can you identify a single example?

The point is that color shots of yards show many different color shades.
It's not that you shouldn't try to be in the "ballpark" of the railroad's
color for a car 1-5 years old, but I don't think you need to sweat it too
hard either, unless the car is fresh out of the shop!

I once posted two shots of the same car, same day, same roll of film --
two completely different colors. The only variable was sunlight. So what
color was the car? Answer: both colors!