Re: box car colors

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim O'Connor

Two philosophical questions then:

1. If two cars were built the same day at the same place and painted from the same drum
of paint, coupled together and run together hauling the same cargos for ten years, would
you expect the colors of the two be virtually the same or markedly different after ten
years?
Kurt, please identify a single example.

2. If two cars were built the same day by two different shops for two different railroads
and painted in markedly different colors, coupled together a week later and run together
hauling the same cargos for ten years, would you expect the colors of the two be virtually
the same or markedly different after ten years?
Can you identify a single example?

I know of none and doubt there ever was one. And how do you like this: I don't care if did ever happened or if it happened every day! In fact, that's why the second word in my post was "philosophical", not "based-on-real-life-example". The idea was for each of us to consider - consistent with our own philosophies of weathering - if these cases DID happen, what would we *expect* the answers to be? Whether you post or (hopefully) not, relate that back to your own ideas about whether it's important to match colors to a standard.

KL