From: Bill Daniels <billinsf@yahoo.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, Dec 6, 2009 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: box car colors

Looking at that photo, I would be more tempted to think that the charring of the
end of that particular car was the result of that bane of the industry at the
time... a hotbox. If the car needed thawing (and often they would in the
winter... iron ore was relatively wet when it came out of the ground) the scorch
marks (if any) would be more towards the center of the car.

I would also like the other PRR fanatics here to observe the color of the
interior of the car in the immediate foreground... that's (at least to my eye)
close to what color FCC really was. However, I have to offer a caveat... these
transparencies were originally shot on Kodachrome and Kodachrome tends to be
weak on reds, so the color may well be more intense. But to my eye, it looks
correct, with just enough orange in it to be right. All of the cars in this
photo looked like that when freshly painted, but time, temperature, climate and
environment have wreaked havoc on the base color.

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ