Re: Route card or tariff late 40s for Winona Railroad

Mark P.

I would like to see a tariff card as well. Online photos also show Virginian, L&N and Southern hoppers, as well as N&W hoppers.

An advertisement is at <http://replica.palni.edu/u?/winona,430>, along with many Winona photos.

I don't have my references handy, but as I recall, this routing was the result of a Supreme Court ruling around 1911. Both the NYC and PRR would interchange the coal with the Winona at Warsaw, IN, then the Winona would take it 16 or so miles north to New Paris where it would interchange with the Wabash, using shared interchange tracks with the NYC. The Winona paralleled the NYC (Big Four's Michigan Branch, today's NS Marion Branch) from Warsaw through New Paris to Goshen, so the NYC interchange at Warsaw always seemed strange to me.

Mark Plank
Researching the Winona Railroad at <http://members.kconline.com/plank/winhome.htm>