Re: Railway Gazette and Railway Age

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Richard,

Richard Townsend wrote:
Here's what I suspect is a forlorn hope: is there a comprehensive
index to these publications? If not, other than by going through
each issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era
freight car? If there are annual indices, and they collected
somewhere?
Several folks have already replied on this topic, but I'll try to address the portion of your question that reads:

If not, other than by going through each issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era freight car?

If your interest if regarding some single specific freight car, then look thru the issues published during the year the car was
built. If there was anything innovative or newsworthy regarding the car's construction, there would be some article on that topic.
In any case, there is usually a summary or a two-liner regarding all freight car orders placed, and while it might not get you a pic
or elevation drawings you can at least know who the builder was and how many of the cars were ordered in that one lot.

In any case, I think you will find old issues of Railway Age and such are terrific fun to just leaf thru for the era of your
interest.

- Claus Schlund