Re: Spencer Kellog & Sons SKX tank cars.

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 19, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car
to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners
in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant
ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company,
nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must
have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in
the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the
1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank
cars besides #231?
Denny, the reason you can't find SKX in the ORERs is that those cars
are listed under General American, who took them over in the 1930s
and operated them for Spencer Kellogg. There were 145 SKX cars in
1945. I'll send you a hi-res scan of SKX 231, as that photo came
from my collection, and you should be able to read the dates better.
Spencer Kellogg was a linseed oil refiner in Buffalo, NY. The
founder began making linseed oil in the 19th century, the company was
incorporated in 1912, and at one time it was the world's largest
producer of linseed oil. Google it and you'll find a lot of
information. Spen Kellogg, grandson of the founder, is a model
railroader and in the past has subscribed to this list. If he's
still on the list, he can give you the whole story of the company and
the family. He was, as you can imagine, extremely pleased when Jon
Cagle introduced the model.

Richard Hendrickson