From: David Sieber <ealabhan0@live.com>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] NYC 40' boxcar lot 703-B
To: stmfc@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, December 18, 2009, 2:07 AM

Mark,

    If you're going to correct the trucks on your
NYC box car, you might also consider adding a key spotting
feature of New York Central System boxcars of the
period.  NYC System cars could be distinguished from
other 1937 AAR standard boxcars by the towing or roping
staples on the bolster ends, which allowed the car to be
moved with a tow rope and hook, powered by a trackside
winch.  These roping staples can be seen in photos of
NYC/P&LE/IHB '37 box cars; they appear (and may be
modeled) as semicircular wire loops riveted at each end, low
on each bolster tab on the car side, directly above the
trucks.  One look at an NYC '37 box car photo should be
self-explanatory, if my description isn't clear enough; a
picture is worth a thousand words.  A good reference is
Richard Hendrickson's article on NYC System 1937 AAR box
cars in Railmodel Journal, Nov 92.
Regards,

Dave Sieber

Reno  NV

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: bnonut@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 20:22:20 -0800

Thank You, Richard. I have a few of those trucks!!! I hope
to weather it up and put some articles on the floor, the
doors are glued open! might even put a hobo in there!
I hope Tahoe might make some of these other trucks we are
after.

Mark Morgan

--- On Thu, 12/17/09, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 11:11 PM

On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:27 AM, bnonut wrote:

I purchased a Red Caboose boxcar kit. NYC 157380 6'
door 1937 aar
IH 10'
has superior seven panel doors and Apex brake.
Wondering which
trucks would be correct.
Mark, I have a photo of 157302 which shows the trucks to be
Barber
S-2 with spring planks. No one makes this truck in HO, but

Branchline makes a slightly later version of the Barber S-2
without
spring plank.

Richard Hendrickson

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM
protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/

    STMFC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com