Re: Gondola question

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:39 PM, roblmclear wrote:

Hi to the group

And to all of you the very best for Christmas and the New Year. I
have a small question I have an N scale kit of a GS Composite side
gondola from Dimi Trains, it started life as a Sugar Beet gondola
with the high sides but after some surgery and modifications gives
me a reasonable facsimilie of the Union Pacific G-50-11. I know
that it is not 100% correct but it is pretty close. I have the
Union Pacific freight car book by Terry Metcalfe which give a good
picture on page 150 of the car and the lettering. Question is
does anyone know of a decal sheet available in N scale for these
cars if not what colour should the lettering be it is hard to make
out in the book if it is white or yellow, or indeed a mixture of
both? I can probably make up enough lettering to make the car
look OK from other sheets but I would need to know wether the
lettering was white or yellow can anyone assist?
Rob, the lettering was white when the cars were new. UP lettering
did not change to yellow until mid-1947, and many cars survived with
white lettering for a long time after that. Champ made decal sets in
HO specifically for this car in both white and yellow, but I don't
know what (if anything) is available in N scale.

Richard Hendrickson