Re: Spencer Kellog & Sons SKX tank cars.

FRANK PEACOCK

Dr. Anspach, Spencer Kellog & Sons was Incorporated in NY in Aug. 1912 ( partnership established 1894). " Manufactures and deals in vegetable oils. Crushes flaxseed, castor beans, soy beans, copra, obtaining respectively linseed, castor, soy bean and coconut oils." Has refineries at Buffalo, Edgewater, NJ, Minneapolis, Long Beach, Decatur, IL, Chicago, Bellevue, Ohio. No mention of tank cars in the short article. Ref. 1949 Moody's Industrials, p. 278. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: danspach@macnexus.org
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:56:24 -0800
Subject: [STMFC] Spencer Kellog & Sons SKX tank cars.

I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car

to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners

in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant

ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company,

nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must

have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in

the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the

1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank

cars besides #231?

Thank you

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD