Re: Tank Car lettering conventions

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated, the source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight the same? What about other data?
As far as I know, Denny, this practice was at the discretion of the owner of the car (I've never seen an MCB or ARA/AAR lettering drawing with tank car center sill lettering). There are certainly a few photos out there of reasonably fresh tank car paint jobs and NO such lettering on center sills, but my impression is that a large majority of owners DID put initials and number on the center sill (and almost always, repack data are there too). But size and location of the lettering varied widely. This is especially evident in the many AC&F builder photos we have. So as with so many things, you need a prototype photo to letter your model correctly. Some owners did letter additional items on the center sill, as I gather you've noticed also.

(There is nothing so very relaxing on a Christmas Day afternoon as a little dose of Prototype Freight car modeling, made especially pleasant by the smells of a prime rib roast in the oven downstairs).
Quite true, though I lean to the situation where that roast is cooking at the house you'll visit later today for dinner, and thus someone ELSE will be doing the heroic mountain of dishes afterward. <g> At our house, the dishwasher is invariably ME.

Publishers of books on railroad history