Re: Tank Car lettering conventions

docdenny34 <danspach@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that
both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the
center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated,
the source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight
the same? What about other data?
As far as I know, Denny, this practice was at the discretion
of the owner of the car (I've never seen an MCB or ARA/AAR lettering
drawing with tank car center sill lettering). There are certainly a
few photos out there of reasonably fresh tank car paint jobs and NO
such lettering on center sills, but my impression is that a large
majority of owners DID put initials and number on the center sill (and
almost always, repack data are there too). But size and location of
the lettering varied widely. This is especially evident in the many
AC&F builder photos we have. So as with so many things, you need a
prototype photo to letter your model correctly. Some owners did letter
additional items on the center sill, as I gather you've noticed also.

(There is nothing so very relaxing on a Christmas Day afternoon as a
little dose of Prototype Freight car modeling, made especially
pleasant by the smells of a prime rib roast in the oven downstairs).
Quite true, though I lean to the situation where that roast is
cooking at the house you'll visit later today for dinner, and thus
someone ELSE will be doing the heroic mountain of dishes afterward.
<g> At our house, the dishwasher is invariably ME.
Oh, yes. However, I have a children and grandchildren with whom I barter hospitality for such homely tasks.

Well, today, I am chef, cook, and bottle washer with my capable son-in-law as assistant- a Christmas present to Mama. I made pecan and mincemeat pies yesterday (only Grade B dark maple syrup, and roasted pecans!). While I relax at the computer and contemplate decal applications on my STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS, I absent myself every 30 minutes to baste the roast . It will be removed from the oven when the core temp reaches 120ยบ, and then allowed to rest for awhile until carved at the table.

Some of the very finest most tasty Prime Rib I can ever recall (more than once) was prepared by Southern Pacific Railroad chefs.

Denny

Publishers of books on railroad history