Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest

Richard Hendrickson

I said I would have no more to say on this subject, but I can't
resist responding to Dave's very useful post.

On Dec 28, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Dave Nelson wrote:

A few FACTS from the 1950 edition of the Minerals Yearbook, published
annually by the Federal Depoartment of the Interior.
Which I don't have access to, so I'm glad Dave does.

In 1949 there were a total of 8559 Bituminous coal mines in the United
States, of which a grand total of 31 were located in Washington, 1
in Idaho,
and 0 in Oregon (hereafter refered to as NW States).

Total coal production in the US exceeded 480,000,000 tons, of which
only
902,265 tons were produced in the NW States mentioned above (that's
0.19% of
the total). Of this 902k tons, the Northern Pacific was asked to
move 476k
tons and the Great Northern 107k tons....it isn't very hard to
estimate how many
cars were used to move the above coal, in total, or as a daily
average (i.e., not many).
[snip]

FWIW, the Western Pacific moved 391k tons of bit coal in 1950. I'm
led to
understand a majority of that went to Washington state.
So what does this tell us? I got a lot of grief, some of it off-
list, about my post on this subject which started the whole
discussion, but it appears to me that Dave's evidence entirely
confirms my original statements (except for my ignorance about the
NP's use of coal, which I've already admitted). Doesn't that make a
lot of the responses to my post by self-appointed experts on Pacific
Northwest coal seem either wrong or irrelevant?

Richard Hendrickson