Re: express reefers loading/unloading

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Brian Carlson wrote:
To get away from coal for a moment. at larger terminals, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc would express reefers of strawberries for instance be unloaded at the station or REA terminal, or would they be delivered a food/produce terminal in the city. Cities like Buffalo and Cleveland had food terminals and I was wondering if express reefers would be switched from a passenger train to these locations?
From what I know about PFE, the produce terminals were always used, not passenger depots. The role of REA is an interesting question, as they controlled express reefers for most railroads, but I think were still routed to produce terminals to serve the normal buyers in those locations.

Publishers of books on railroad history