From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] express reefers loading/unloading
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 10:12 PM

Tim O'Connor wrote:
For unloading, that makes sense. What about loading? I've seen
photos/videos of trains with many express reefers. Were they handled
by local passenger trains like the cream/butter business,or by
freights, and then later consolidated for long haul on mail/
passenger trains?
Good point. I'd guess it would depend on the local
circumstances, for example how easy a pickup by a passenger train
would be. Certainly no one is going to park a passenger while the
locomotive wanders off to an industrial siding somewhere. There's an
example cited in the PFE book of strawberries in express reefers, with
cars timed to complete loading and be picked up and taken straight to
the main line by the normal local freight, to meet a passenger train.
Other situations would require other solutions.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history