From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
tgregmrtn@...
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:13 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NEWSPRINT

Tony replies:

"Paul's description sounded like the rolls were not set down on the dock,
but picked up in the cars and carried to the trucks."

Understood Tony, and that is certainly a good way to do it, less handling
out of car into/onto a truck,. Lets consider the fact the forklifts have
rubber tires, often hard rubber tires for the "boxcar specials". Regardless,

the tires will pick up, transfer and deposit FOD in the trailer and likely
under the next roll of paper your driver has to set down in the trailer.
Many of the photos I have seen of paper transloading from the era we model
show the rolls of paper being loaded onto flatbed trucks with the rolls eye
to the side and braced and blocked. As a matter of fact we often use these
photos in comparison in our Power Point presentations to show that
transloading is not new to any industry. Most roll clamps also have a
turntable
mounted between the mast and the clamp so the driver can lay the roll down
eye
to the side as this is how the roll is handle to the printer. FOD would
cause the paper feeding into the printer (regardless if the damage was on
the
side or edge) to tear over and over again until the hole/tear were gone.

To answer Tim's question paper rolls vary in weight form 5k to 12k
depending on the customer specification. There all qualities of paper from
pulp
board, liner board to photo paper. Photo paper generally requires that the
rolls are set on rubber mats not only in the rail cars, but in the trucks
during distribution as well as in mill/warehouse storage, but not the case
for
news print, which normally only requires it is set on red rosin paper or
pulp board.

Greg Martin