From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
geodyssey
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:13 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: NEWSPRINT

Isn't there a huge rail-served Times printing plant in Santa Ana or Costa
Mesa, visible just north of the I-405?

When I was switching on the UP back in the late 70s-early 80s, a midnight
job would take four 100-ton boxcars of paper three or four times a week to a
Times printing plant via a switchback behind the DART warehouse. I think
this plant printed phone books. An NW2 with a running start and sanding
would not always be able to push two cars up the steep grade. Back up and
take another run...

Rob Simpson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Paul"
<buygone@...> wrote:

Tim:

Not entirely true. The LA Times does not have a direct rail siding. Most
of the newsprint was received at the Southern Pacific's 8th Street paper
dock and trucked to the Times paper plant. They also received a portion
via
water at the LA Harbor and that newsprint was also trucked to them.

Paul C. Koehler