Re: NEWSPRINT

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

As a kid in the 60's, I carried papers for the local twice weekly, which had it's own printing press back then. Paperboys were
suppose to enter via the back loading dock to get our papers, not the front office entry, so I witnessed the unloading of paper
rolls. The loading dock was a raised open concrete affair. The paper rolls came in an enclosed back of a straight van body
delivery truck. I don't recall a forklift. The paper rolls were placed on a wheeled frame, similar to a barrel rack and rolled
into place to reload the printing press. The rack was at the right height to allow the paper to roll right into the press, once
the "axle" had been inserted into the roll. Extra rolls were stored near the loading dock, so delivery was not an every week
occurrence. It is quite possible they came standing on end (eye to the sky) and tipped over onto a tilted up rack, just like
handling a barrel, only larger round object.

I don't know where paper came from, the town was served by both the RI & the CB&Q, but neither had tracks anywhere near the
newspaper building. If paper came via boxcar I suspect the newspaper had a warehouse where paper was stored then the local truck
was sent every time they needed paper. Or more likely the paper was shipped to a warehouse in Des Moines and local paper sent a
truck to Des Moines each time it need a few rolls.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org