Re: freight car wheel help

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Brian Carlson wrote:
If a boxcar was built in April of 1944 with 1 wear wrought steel wheels would they likely still be on the car in 1957. I know cast wheels were banned at some point in the 50's but I don't know much else about the freight car wheel technology in that time frame. Were 1 wear wrought steel wheels state of the art then?
I don't know the answer for sure, Brian, but I have the impression that multiple-wear wheels were experimented with by many roads before and right after WW II, and pretty universally determined to be not worth the weight and cost (including re-profiling cost). Single-wear wheels became pretty standard on most railroads by, say, 1950. At least that's what I think happened. If someone on the list has specifics, please tell us.

Publishers of books on railroad history