DL&W Boxcar Paint and praise

MDelvec952

----------------------------
Having bought one of the 1950-built cars, I can testify that
it's a really nice product. The prototype was Magor-built if I recall,
thus the need for all the "mixed" parts. I'd say "good job, ELHS."

Publishers of books on railroad history

I gotta say that the above really warms the heart of this Lackawanna lover since we all know that Tony can be as critical as he is knowledgeable. I respect those qualities. The ELHS could use Tony's quote as a pop-out in an ad. On behalf of everyone involved in this project, including Schuyler, I say thanks, Tony. This was a committee effort; Schuyler can run down the names and forward the praise.

The car is a good offering and something in which even I take some pride (I can be critical, too). It wasn't an easy project as there were some issues along the way on both sides of the check-writing. I joined the project late, and shared the lessons learned from the efforts of other groups. There are plenty of options for superdetail, but for out of the box the details are correct.

As for the color, I don't know what paint IM used though I did ask along the way and I may have forgotten. When the first samples arrived, the IM color in sunlight was so very close to the actual colors -- always stick to standard mixes if possible. In flourescent light the difference was all but unoticeable. Critical to the look of these cars is the opaque white lettering, which the models have. The artwork and typefaces on these cars were unique. The original color was Glidden No.204 standard brown that had a maroon-ish quality in certain types of light. The IM color has the right look, and I suggested that future ELHS projects with IM use that same paint. Since these cars used a combination of ends, sides, roof and doors that that appeared only on a 250-car class, I'm hoping the ELHS later works with IM to produce the standard 1937 car that represents a class of cars numbering more than 1500. The newer 1955 Billboard paint scheme was applied to just a few of the ELHS cars, and the numbers chosen for the models were chosen from the very few photos of cars so painted in service. Interestingly, these later 1950s repaints were not done at DL&W's own Keyser Valley Shops, but by carbuilders Magor or ACF, scalemarks C for Clifton or B or Berwick, respectively. There were subtle variations in the billboard placement and artwork that varied between home-shop and factory repaints, era and boxcar class, and these cars have it correct on both models. These are the first truly accurate renditions of this billboard on a model.

Nice kit. Now, does anyone know how to get the numbers off of these cars without damaging the finish? The lettering is so opaque that I'm afraid to try.

Mike Del Vecchio
Lackawanna-land, NJ