From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Anthony Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:24 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Waukesha Diesel-Icer

Gary Roe wrote:
The March 28, 1955 issue of Railway Age has an article in it about a
new development by the Waukesha Motor Company. Basically, it is a
retro fit for an ice-bunker reefer to turn it into a mechanical
reefer without having to
perform structural modifications.

Was this system ever used much, or was it experimental only? I
can't say I've ever seen any other photos of cars so equipped.
Both PFE and FGE tried this conversion (there are photos in the
PFE book), and I think others such as MDT tried it out also, but AFAIK
everyone determined that the small, older ice cars, with narrow doors,
were not going to be as acceptable to shippers as the big new
mechanical cars, thus the conversions were not worth the cost.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep
<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com> ress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history