From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 2:46:15 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] D&M and LS&I boxcar questions

Frank

1. All of them have standard rectangular panel roofs.

2A. The earliest pictures I have of these cars in gray is 1962 but
I think they were first painted that way in the 1950's.

2B. The 2800-2999 were delivered in 1947, in plain lettering style
with freight car red paint. I have a 1956 color shot of such
a car if you need it.

Yes, the large D&M lettering appeared in the 1960's.

Tim O'Connor

I'd have a couple of quick questions...

1. What roofs did Detroit & Mackinac 2800-3099 and Lake Superior &
Ishpeming 2201-2225 srs boxcars have?

2. Regarding the D&M cars: I've seen a number of photos, in some of which
the cars are in a grey (white? silver?) with black lettering, and some
which have a boxcar red; judging from the quite large "D&M" on the red
car, I'm assuming it's a later scheme than the grey/black one. What I'd
ask has two parts: A, when was the grey/black scheme first introduced? B,
what sort of livery were these cars most commonly found in in 1947?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC