Old PFE Reefer

Larry Fink

I thought some of you might like to see a photo (link below) of a PFE
wood reefer with its original enameled emblem in 1948. As Tony Thompson
wrote in his PFE book (co-authored by Church and Jones), there was an
effort to replace them with stenciled paint in the late 1930s because
they "had a distressing tendency to fall off in transit." Combined with
the fact that there was an emphasis on car repainting after WWII, the
fact that this one managed to slip through was a bit of an oddity. The
presence of the emblem (and poor paint condition) implies to me that
this particular car had not been repainted in close to 20 years. The
subject location is the Blue Mountains in Eastern Oregon on the U. P.,
Sept. 20, 1948.

27/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/photos/album/1210557054/pic/1397704\;
327/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc>

Larry Fink