Re: Kadee Scale Coupler Operational Reliablity

Tim O'Connor

There are now many brands of Kadee-style couplers out there,
including some "scale" (P:HO) sizes. I have found that it's more
important than ever to have all couplers at the height prescribed
by the Kadee coupler height gauge. The only coupler I'm definitely
tossing is the original oversize Accumate (not the scale Accumate)
which is consistently problematic with the new smaller couplers of
all brands. Atlas continues to use the huge Accumates on its new
RTR models!

Tim O'Connor

I'm going to assume he is referring to 58's and 78's or the scale whisker couplers (number forgotten) They are smaller, (duh) so they are less tolerate of dips and humps in the track. but they operate fine on layouts as long as the height is correctly set. This often includes a 0.005 shim in the coupler box to take the droop out. We've been using #5's 58's and 78's for years on the club layout.
brian carlson
I have a friend (who is a very good modeler) who claims that he is having difficulty with scale couplers uncoupling