On Feb 13, 2010 Tim O'Connor wrote:

Consider that most (uncushioned) model draft gear do not extend further
than the end sills, and then the extra shank length (.031) plus the smaller
coupler head means that the car-to-car distance is closer to prototype
than you might expect if you're only considering the shank length. So if
you insist on using only the "short" shank #153 then you must also mount
your draft gear so the distance over pulling faces of the couplers is
set according to the prototype.
What is the scale relationship, i.e. distance, between the striker plates of coupled car, and/or what is the correct scale relationship, i.e. projected distance, between the face of the coupler box striker plate and the end sill on an individual car?

My opinion presumes that the coupler box striker plates are, or are placed in at least a close semblance of the correct prototype position, which IMHO they mostly are in the great majority of the fine models that the members of this list seems to embrace.

The Accumate Proto couplers are dead on, striker plate to striker plate, and the Kadee #153s are just two inches over- not enough to notice. This means that if the striker plates of the coupled cars have the correct relationship to their respective cars, then the use of these couplers will result in the coupled distance between the cars being at least very-close-to-prototype as well.

By the way, trains of fine prototype cars individually coupled at prototype distances apart can look stunning! ("Quality is the close attention to detail.).

DEnny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.