Somewhat off-topic steam era historical inquiry

mopacfirst

When did the use of ladder cages begin? I believe in the steam era, with today's safety mentality not as prevalent, it was pretty common to have big ol' ladders with nothing around them. I've built some Walthers industrial structures which could date to the fifties or earlier, but I'm not sure the ladder cages really belong on them.

These are structures that would be located in small-town industries, not major manufacturing complexes who had a safety engineer on staff.

Ron Merrick