Re: Kadee Scale Coupler Operational Reliablity

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

Dennis Storzek writes-

Note that the locomotive was originally delivered with short swing
knuckles, similar to those used on steam locomotive pilots:

Dennis, this is a new one to me. Just what made up a "short swing
knuckle"?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento
Aw, com'mon Doc. You're not going to make me spend hours looking for a photo on the web, now, are you. If there is a more descriptive name, I don't know it, but what I mean is the knuckle with the short tang on the back, only long enough to suround a pin, that pins into a pocket bolted to the face of a pilot beam; basically the standard steam loco front coupler before drop couplers became all the rage. The couplers that were used on Shays were similar, but had two tangs, and could be adjusted for height by pinning them in different slots ina pocket with several slots.

Wait, this is what I meant, from the Sergent Engineering web site:

http://www.sergentengineering.com/images/Pocket1_2.jpg

The coupler does not go through the pilot beam, it's short, and has very limited swing.

Dennis