Re: Santa Fe Brake Gear Arrangement

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Bill,
Every part of the air brake system under the car has to be removable. Sometimes a circuitous route is necessary to enable a section of pipe to be removed.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

I noticed while doing a Santa Fe RR-23 refer that the brake pipe (from
the triple valve to the trainline) did not follow the
"standard" (shortest distance between two points) path.
It rather went through a series of 90 degree bends. The hardware
(Dirt Collector and Valve are mounted on the section parallel to the
triple valve as opposed to right next to the
valve on most applications. I have also noticed this arrangement on
Santa Fe tank cars. Was this common practice for Santa Fe cars?
more specifically was it used on refers with
Duryea underframe and SK-T stockcar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Pardie