Re: Painting Resin Freight Car Kits

Bill Welch

I do not use a primer with resin or styrene kits, and use almost exclusively Modelflex or Polyscale paints. My routine for the last 3-4 years is Media Blasting the finished model with Baking Soda before washing w/Dawn or Ivory. Sometimes even after this I brush the model with rubbing alcohol and dry it with the airbrush immediately before spraying it with paint.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob & Bev Manley" <robev1630@...> wrote:

PAul,
I always wash my sheets of castings with Dawn detergent and a little BArkeepers Friend cleanser before separating and sanding the parts. I use a nail board with different grits equal to 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, 800 that I buy at Walgreens for about $100.00 each. I sand the mating edges to break the glossy back surface and sand (even the tiny ones) parts to remove the flash the X-acto won't get. Walgreens or Home Depot ACC works for me and when fresh is as good as the hobby shop brands.
When assembled I gve the car a bath again with dawn and a toothbrush or a 3/4" wide artist oil painter brush. I don't submerge the car so no water enters the body. let dry or coax some of the water away with a hair dryer being careful to not warp the body. I spray all my models with Poly Scale waterbase with no primer. Most of the boxcar colors don't need a primer to neutralize the plastic and resin parts and cover quite well. Glosscoat with Pledge/Future floor acrylic polish and decal per MIcroscale instructions. Flat finish with Poly Scale Flat or MIcroscale flat.
DONE.

Rob

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:46 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Painting Resin Freight Car Kits

I'm building my first resin STMFC freight car kit, a Funaro & Camerlengo. (I've built & painted resin building kits in the past)

F&C says the car is made from, "Polycarbonate Resin".

F&C says to, "wash with a cleaning agent for urethanes, or household cleaner, IE) 'Shout' "

My question is, for a really fine paint-job with RR water-based paints, what are the groups basic recommendations.

Is a primer recommended.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.