Re: 8-panel 42-foot gon

rwitt_2000

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi,

In N scale, we have had an 8-panel 42-foot gon available since the
earliest days. It has been made by several manufacturers, and has been
available in both wood-floor and steel-floor versions over the years. An
image of one can be seen at the url below.

Michael K replied:

One explanation I have heard that sounds plausible is that the gondola
body was compressed so the same plastic underframe could be used that
was common to 40' box, stock and reefer cars. That prevented tooling a
unique underframe soley for a correctly dimensioned gondola.
At least in N scale that appears to have been the case.
That probably was not the case for these 8-panel, 40-ft gondolas in
either HO or N scale. The models of gondolas that had a nominal IL of
52'-6" such as the AAR and Bethlehem styles were compressed to 50' to
fit on 50' underframes usually available from existing models of 50'
boxcars. Models of flat cars were also compressed to fit on these same
50-ft underframes. For a very long time in HO scale one of the few mill
gondolas with the correct length was the one offered by Revell and later
by Con-Cor.

Bob Witt