Re: DL&W 53133 40' 1937 boxcar

MDelvec952

That link leads us to the famous Homer Hill photo of these cars. That short box ahead of the 52469 is one of the USRA-like steel cars with an odd dreadnaught end, the 47000-series. These cars 8'7" IH cars were unusual in that the ends of the otherwise standard dreadnaught bulges have little tapers to them. A little sanding to Westerfield's USRA box with dreadnaught ends would make an okay stand-in.

The 52469 is in the series preceeding the 53133 model. Yes, the ELHS model is an unusual combination of sides, ends and roof in the industry; was GN the only other road to use this combation of components? DL&W equipped some in this combination for passenger service as express cars, and two of them were outfitted as milk cars. The 52000-series car was offered by Sunshine in two versions, kit 32.11, which Lofton calls "10' IH AAR 1944" boxcars.

As for the 10-foot height -- I've never found any such mention in company writings as yet, but much of DL&W's ladings were of materials that reach weight capacity without requiring the height, such as bagged cement and flour. Yes, many of the later 10'6" cars were assigned to Buffalo-area flour service.

I hope the ELHS will offer the standard 1937 car one day, since the ELHS artwork is terrific and correct in all of the nuances of the era.

Mike Del Vecchio

In a message dated 03/13/10 13:29:00 Eastern Standard Time, eric@hansmanns.org writes:

My eye catches the DL&W car on the far left. It seems to have a 7/7 Murphy end with a gap/spacer in the middle.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/dlw52469alb.jpg

I admit to a lack of DL&W freight car knowledge. Would this be a steel-side rebuild of a USRA DS clone? Wish we could see a number of that car.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Attend the Central Ohio Prototype Modeler Meet
April 22 - 24, 2010
http://www.hansmanns.org/meet/

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

These cars caught my attention when the ELHS came out with their car, and I
found this photo

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/dlw52469alb.jpg

This car is in the series immediately preceding the one the ELHS chose; it
has a slightly different end. Very straight forward to model with an IM '37
10' box and Branchline ends which need only a little sanding to shorten. The
plate protecting the brake valve is a nice touch.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

After cutting out all that irrelevant stuff 8^) . . . VERRRRYY interesting
link, Steve, VERRRY interesting link . . .

SGL

Database version: 6.14550