Re: GN 45000-52999 construction details

Earl Tuson

Earl, though I have no detailed documentation on these
cars, it's always been my understanding that they did not
have AAR standard underframes, and that the underframes
more closely resembed the older ARA/X29 underframes.
Thanks for the reply, Richard. That would be, to me, an
unexpected twist. The 2/94 RMJ article does indeed state
the side sills were 7" channels, precisely the size the ARA
design used. Might you have a equipment diagram for the
cars that states what the center plate height was? An
important difference (to shop personnel, although not much
to modelers,) is that the ARA design used a 26 3/4" center
plate, while the AAR dropped that dimension to 25 3/4". If
we could determine one or the other, that might lend
considerable weight to the ARA underframe theory. On the
other hand, the best shot of these I have is the builder's
photo in RPC #3, which shows rather clearly that the bottom
edge of the cross tie is straight, similar to an AAR
component. The corresponding ARA cross tie was parallel to
the ground at either end, and sloped at the center only
(two bends.) And then, to continue to confuse matters, in
the same photo it looks like the bottom flange of the
crossbearer extends to the side sill like the ARA design,
but that is not entirely clear. The AAR crossbearer's
lower flange ended several inches shy of the bulb angle.

Earl Tuson

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com