From: "Peter J. McClosky" <pmcclosky@comcast.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 5:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Naval Gun in San Pedro, CA

This link will take you to a Navel Gun load on 2 flat cars, bound for
Fort MacArthur in San Pedro, CA. The photo taken on March 24, 1917.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/FullRecord?databaseID=968&record=10&controlNumber=76724

Peter
----
Peter J. McClosky
Eugene, Oregon
pmcclosky@earthlink.net
pmcclosky@comcast.net

On Mar 19, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Kurt Laughlin wrote:

From the Navy in either case. The 16-inch coast defense guns (16 in/
50, Mk
II, but not the same model as IOWA-class guns) were made using rifles
intended for ships cancelled after the 1922 Washington Naval treaty.
After
war (around 1947-ish) the Coast Artillery Corps was dis-established
and you
could have seen the guns - or scrap remnants thereof - travelling
away from
the coasts.

For those interested in naval ordnance there are a number or original
publications available at:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm#ss

For Army Ordnance, go to:
http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Manuals/index.html
about 90% of the way down, the three "Standard Ornance Items
Catalog, Second
Edition 1944" [sic] volumes are a great general reference.

KL