Re: Weathering Chalk

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Lester Breuer wrote:
In addition to earth tones other colors can be used. For example, white can be used for lime residue from cleaning stock cars.
Lime was sometimes used in transit to control maggots in the car bedding, but after EVERY trip stock cars were steam cleaned. They did NOT build up lime deposits, and indeed shippers could refuse cars which were not clean. I think modelers typically overdo stock car weathering (though I have no idea if Lester falls into this category).

Publishers of books on railroad history