Train Schedules and the USRA

Bill Welch

I recently acquired through eBay a Pennsylvania Railroad ad from the October 20, 1928 "Literary Digest" entitled "A New Era in Agriculture." It heralds the increase of the output of fresh fruits and vegetables and the PRR's role in transporting this increased production. One paragraph reads: "A few years ago, scarcely 10% of freight trains were on regular schedules. Today the Pennsylvania Railroad's 2900 freight trains are operated on regular schedules as dependable as those of passenger limiteds."

My question is assuming the statement is true that "A few years ago, scarcely 10% of freight trains were on regular schedules," was this lack of regular schedules the cause (or a factor at least) of the RR's inability to get the job done moving freight in WWI resulting in the creation of the USRA?

Bill Welch