Re: Train Schedules and the USRA

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim and all;

I think it was wishful thinking that they were all scheduled, but I would not
be too quick to dismiss the number of trains. The Mon Division alone ran
dozens. All the ex-PRR guys I've talked to agree that, while there were
published schedules with freight trains on them, like Bruce said, freights
were almost always run as extras; the system had to have flexibility to
handle the kind of train density you mention. And we are talking density
like no one can comprehend in this day and age. WW2 must've been an
incredible lesson in how to run a railroad. There were also good reasons for
the PRR to have had the kind of complicated trackage and interlockings they
had. Density.

That being said, the PRR did run trains in certain slots, pre-designated by
that schedule. A "for instance" would be all the "symbol" freights they ran
(like MA-50/51 and PT-6/7), in areas with a lot of industry, mostly at night,
to avoid stumbling over all the locals and such running during the day,
crossing the mains and creating tie-ups. Most of the trains in my area of
interest ran during these time slots to avoid one another, and to provide for
sufficient time and capacity at intervening yards, for setting out blocks and
allowing for switch crews to keep things clean.

I have also been doing research on Pennsy trains, schedules and actual
operations for some time, and have some very interesting breakdowns of
traffic for 1918, 1935, the 50's and 60's. What really interested me were
the details of what pops out vis-à-vis interchange, actual times running,
number of trains, and figuring out why they did what they did. Another is
the disappearance of stations, team tracks, branches, and industries over
time.

If anyone is interested in more detail, just ask.

Elden Gatwood