From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Tim
O'Connor
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:29 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Styron

I remember those fiberboard drums, a very common item. Were they about the
same size as metal drums? (55 gallons, I think?) I think dozens of HO scale
models exist of ribbed metal drums, but I can't recall seeing any models of
smooth-side fiberboard drums. A manufacturer would be a good lineside
industry -- receiving kraft paper box cars (or ?) and shipping out box cars
of empty drums.

Tim O'Connor

And many resins were shipped in drums, in box cars, as an alternative
to tank car shipment, especially where the end user desired smaller
quantities.
Elden Gatwood
Polystyrene resin "feedstock" is shipped as pellets, as are most
thermoplastic resins used by the extrusion and molding industry. The
polymerization process yields a molten blob that would solidify into one
giant rock at room temperature, so the blob is extruded into strands maybe
3/32" or 1/8" in diameter, then immediately diced into pellets of about the
same length by calender rolls. These pellets are then remelted in an extruder
and further made into extruded profiles, bottles, or molded parts, such as
our kits.

Most plastic feedstock is shipped today in covered hoppers; the largest
sizes on the rails, since the material is so light in weight. In years past,
however, 50 pound bags on pallets or fiberboard drums were the norm. I worked
in a molding shop back in the sixties, and almost all of our material arrived
(by truck) in bags on pallets. The big "Gaylord" boxes (named for the
originator, the Gaylord Container Corp) were just then coming into widespread
use.

Dennis